February 25, 2022
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed in early 2022. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving, installation of a noise mitigation wall.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Excavating soil and demolishing subsurface structures in the Parcel I supplemental excavation area.
- Backfilling the Parcel I supplemental excavation as sections are completed to the design depth.
- Transporting materials off-site for disposal and recycling.
- Demobilizing support of excavation system steel.
Recently completed activities:
- Installation of monitoring wells on Parcel I and recovery wells and piezometers on Parcel II.
Upcoming work activities:
- Final grading and restoration of completed portions of the Parcel I supplemental excavation.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continuous community air monitoring is on-going. For the period 02/10/22 through 02/23/22 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) associated with Site activities.
Backfilling completed portions of the Parcel I supplemental excavation.