September 17, 2021
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the end of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving, installation of a noise mitigation wall, and the use of temporary enclosed fabric structures with air handling systems to control air emissions from the excavation work within the fabric structure.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Installation of sheet piles around the perimeter of the Parcel I supplemental excavation.
- Final grading and placement of crushed stone surface along Parcel II bulkhead barrier wall.
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling.
Recently completed activities:
- Mobilization of sheet pile installation equipment.
- Pre-trenching the sheet pile alignment for the Parcel I supplemental excavation.
Upcoming work activities:
- Excavation of soil and demolition of structures within Parcel I supplemental excavation.
- Installation of bulkhead barrier wall cap.
- Final grading and placement of crushed stone surface on Parcel III.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continuous community air monitoring is on-going. For the period 09/09/21 through 09/15/21 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) associated with Site activities.
Pre-trenching the sheet pile alignment for the Parcel I supplemental excavation.
Installation of sheet piles around the perimeter of the Parcel I supplemental excavation.