August 27, 2021
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the end of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving, installation of a noise mitigation wall, and the use of temporary enclosed fabric structures with air handling systems to control air emissions from the excavation work within the fabric structure.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Demolition of surficial concrete from Parcel 1 supplemental excavation area.
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling.
Recently completed activities:
- Remobilization of equipment, personnel, and supplies to the Site.
- Installation of geotechnical instrumentation.
- Installation of temporary sound barrier on Parcel I.
- Loadout of stockpiled material from Parcel III for disposal.
- Relocation of equipment decontamination pad.
Upcoming work activities:
- Pre-trenching the sheet pile alignment for the Parcel I supplemental excavation.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continuous community air monitoring is on-going. Community air monitoring activities resumed on August 11, 2021. For the period 08/19/21 through 08/25/21 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) associated with Site activities.
Demolition and loadout of surficial concrete from Parcel 1 supplemental excavation area.
Installation of temporary sound barrier on Parcel I.