November 19, 2021
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the end of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving, installation of a noise mitigation wall.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Excavation of soil and demolition of subsurface structures from the Parcel I supplemental excavation area.
- Backfilling the Parcel I supplemental excavation as sections are completed to the design depth.
- Installation of product recovery wells and piezometers on Parcel III.
- Installation of the driving template for the bulkhead barrier wall closure at the gas shaft.
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling.
Recently completed activities:
- Receipt of bulkhead barrier wall closure materials.
- Probing to identify obstructions along the bulkhead closure alignment.
Upcoming work activities:
- Installation of the bulkhead barrier wall closure piles at the gas shaft.
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continuous community air monitoring is on-going. For the period 11/11/21 through 11/17/21 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) associated with Site activities.
Installation of piezometers and recovery wells on Parcel III.
Mobilization of bulkhead barrier wall closure materials.