January 29, 2021
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the middle of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving, installation of a noise mitigation wall, and the use of temporary enclosed fabric structures with air handling systems to control air emissions from the excavation work within the fabric structure.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Excavation of fourth phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area
- Installation of support of excavation bracing for fourth phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling
Recently completed activities:
- Relocation of temporary membrane structure to fourth phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area
- Backfilling of third phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area
Upcoming work activities:
- Restoration adjacent to bulkheads
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continued community air monitoring. For the period 01/21/21 through 01/27/21 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust].
Excavation of fourth phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area.
Installation of support of excavation bracing for fourth phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area.