July 31, 2020
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the middle of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving, installation of a noise mitigation wall, and the use of temporary enclosed fabric structures with air handling systems to control air emissions from the excavation work within the fabric structure.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling
- Installation of the Parcel 3 bulkhead headwall and anchor wall sheets
- Installation of Parcel 3 bulkhead tie back system
- Removal of Parcel 3 steel sheet piles installed for support of excavation
- Installation of temporary membrane structure at Parcel 1 soil remediation area.
Recently completed activities:
- Installation of controlled low strength material gravity wall for Parcel 1 soil remediation area support of excavation
Upcoming work activities:
- Initial phase of Parcel 1 soil remediation area excavation
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continued community air monitoring. For the period 7/23/20 through 7/29/20 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust].
Removal of Parcel 3 steel sheet piles installed for support of excavation.
Installation of temporary membrane structure on Parcel 1.