June 26, 2020
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the middle of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- The key elements of the remediation work include excavation of MGP Site impacted soils and installation of bulkheads using heavy construction equipment.
- Preparation for these key remediation elements requires sheet pile installation to support excavations on site, as well as construction of bulkheads along the Gowanus Canal.
- There are established measures to reduce potential noise, vibration, and dust from the work including pre-drilling before sheet pile driving and the use of temporary enclosed fabric structures with air handling systems to control air emissions from the excavation work within the fabric structure.
- Air, noise, and vibration monitoring are conducted each day to ensure that the work is conducted in accordance with the requirements of NYSDEC, NYSDOH and NYC.
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling
- Installation of controlled low strength material gravity wall for Parcel 1 soil remediation area support of excavation
- Installation of the Parcel 3 bulkhead headwall and anchor wall sheets
- Installation of Parcel 3 bulkhead tie back system
- Removal of Parcel 3 temporary membrane structure
- Installation of steel sheet piles for Parcel 1 soil remediation area support of excavation
Recently completed activities:
- Installation of the new Parcel 2 bulkhead
- Installation of noise mitigation wall on Parcel 1
- Excavation and backfilling of Parcel 3 soil remediation area at the second temporary membrane structure location
Upcoming work activities:
- Installation of temporary membrane structure at Parcel 1 soil remediation area
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continuous community air monitoring is on-going. For the period 6/18/20 through 6/24/20 there was no 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC). On 6/19/20, there was one 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for Particulate Matter (PM-10) [smoke from welding] within the southwestern Site boundary along the Gowanus Canal. The welding activity was stopped for the day following receipt of the 15-minute Action Limit exceedance. Additionally, no dust was observed leaving the Site during this period. No additional 15-minute Action Limit exceedances for PM-10 occurred during the reporting period.
Installation of Parcel 1 support of excavation with noise mitigation wall in background.
Removal of Parcel 3 temporary membrane structure.