April 24, 2020
National Grid’s contractor, Creamer Environmental, is implementing remedial actions at the Citizens former Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Site to address MGP Site related impacts in accordance with the NY State DEC approved design. Mobilization began on July 10, 2019 and the remedial activities are expected to be completed by the middle of 2021. The cleanup activities are being performed with oversight by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (NYSDEC). Community air monitoring and vibration monitoring are being conducted during this project.
- Transportation of materials off-site for disposal and recycling
- Pre-drilling the sheeting alignment for the Parcel 1 soil remediation area
- Selective demolition of the Parcel 2 bulkhead
- Installation of the new Parcel 2 bulkhead
- Backfilling behind the new Parcel 2 bulkhead
- Excavation of Parcel 3 soil remediation area at the second temporary membrane structure location
- Removal of steel sheet piles from Parcel 3 soil remediation area at the first temporary membrane structure location
Recently completed activities:
- Relocation of temporary membrane structure on Parcel 3
Upcoming work activities:
- Installation of steel sheet piles for Parcel 1 soil remediation area support of excavation
- Installation of controlled low strength material gravity wall for Parcel 1 soil remediation area support of excavation
Community Air Monitoring Plan Summary
Continuous community air monitoring is on-going. For the period 04/16/20 through 04/22/20 there were no levels above the 15-minute Action Limit for Total Volatile Organic Compounds (TVOC) or Particulate Matter (PM-10) [dust].
Removal of steel sheeting on Parcel 3.
Installation of Parcel 2 bulkhead king pile.